A written reviewed by
Delores Zygmont PhD, RN, CCRN
Associate Professor, Coordinator, Nurse Educator
Clinical Nurse Leader MSN
Part One written by Michael Newell, MSN, RN, CCM
Part Two written by Mario Pinardo
President of Achievement Dynamics Institute in Cherry Hill, NJ.
What follows are the excerpts of Delores Zygmount’s review of
Part Two “Dynamics of Personal Empowerment”
Designed to help an individual take control of his/her life.
“Although clearly not specific to nursing, the self-help strategies presented in this section offer valuable advice that can be used in both an individual’s personal and professional life.”
- Chapter six and seven present empowerment as a transition from one place to another rather than just a state of mind.
- Chapter eight presents an Empowerment Model that discusses the inter-relationship of goals, attitudes, and habits on empowerment.
- Chapter nine is about using the process of crystallized thinking to facilitate self-actualization. the authors present excellent examples of using crystallized thinking in an attempt to tap into the “bigger picture.” Methods are presented that can be used to identify where you are and where you want to be.
- Chapters 10 and 11 offer a blueprint for the empowerment process. The authors do an excellent job of delineating a five-step model which could facilitate self-improvement. Numerous charts are presented that are designed to complement the steps in the model ….
- Chapter 13 is an interesting chapter that examines personality types. Selected personality types are clearly presented and delineate strengths and potential problem areas….The descriptions are so clear that the reader can picture the different situations and people encountered during his/her career.
- Chapter 14 offers multiple suggestions for networking that could enhance future career possibilities.
“Because the personal empowerment section is so well done, I would recommend this book to those interested in taking control of their lives, either personally or professionally.”